pm announces all the new ministers

1. 58,089 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 16
    ABC Online...
    Prime Minister Julia Gillard has announced her new-look Cabinet after earlier confirming that former prime minister Kevin Rudd would be given the Foreign Affairs portfolio.

There are four new Ministers: Bill Shorten will be Assistant Treasurer and Minister for Superannuation and Financial Services, Mark Butler will focus on Ageing and Mental Health, Gary Gray is the new Special Minister of State and Jason Clare will focus on Defence Procurement.

Former foreign affairs minister Stephen Smith has moved aside to allow Ms Gillard to fulfil her promise to Mr Rudd, the man she deposed as prime minister and Labor leader.

Mr Smith will replace John Faulkner as Defence Minister, with responsibility for Australia's involvement in the war in Afghanistan.

Stephen Smith earlier said in his new role, he is committed to holding discussions on Australia's role in Afghanistan.

"One thing I am looking forward to so far as Afghanistan is concerned is a parliamentary debate on Afghanistan that of course has come out of discussions with the independents and Mr Wilkie and the Greens," he said.

"My colleague, Defence Minister Faulkner, very strongly supports that notion and I think that is important."

Ms Gillard also confirmed that Wayne Swan will remain Treasurer, former climate change minister Penny Wong will serve as the new Finance Minister and Greg Combet has been promoted to Climate Change Minister.

Former environment minister Peter Garrett will now take on the Schools, Early Childhood and Youth portfolio.

"Making sure that we focus on education is vital, giving every child a chance of a great school education," Ms Gillard said.

"That's why I have asked Peter Garrett to be the Minister for Schools, Early childhood and Youth to continue a key focus on the education reforms that this Government has started to deliver and will continue to deliver."

Health Minister Nicola Roxon, Community and Indigenous Affairs Minister Jenny Macklin and Industry Minister Kim Carr will all remain in their portfolios.

Ms Gillard says she is keeping her promise to create a new department to look after regional Australia and has given Simon Crean the new Regional Affairs portfolio.

Craig Emerson is the new Trade Minister.

Kate Ellis has been moved from her Sport portfolio to Employment Participation and Childcare and Mark Arbib has been promoted to Minister for Indigenous Employment, Social Housing and Sport.

Chris Bowen will take over the Immigration Portfolio from Chris Evans, who will be the new Minister for Employment.

Dave R.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.