I wonder if there is not a more sinister reason why a...

1. 28,740 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 424
    I wonder if there is not a more sinister reason why a progressive tax is not placed on super annuities (pensions), that being that all recipients of defined benefit pensions are now able to access these pensions, tax free. It was not always the case!!! That would mean Politicians (including those retired) would have to be taxed on these, over and above their earnings from their own person war-chests.

Now, is that just me being cynical or could that just have been why the attack on the franking credits was chosen rather than the taxing option which makes far more sense and would be much more equitable.

I think politicians may be the only ones left in the workforce still getting access to these defined benefit pensions. They are extremely valuable. Indexed twice a year, for life, zero tax, not means-tested. Other government works, eg teachers, were not offered these since about 1990 or a bit earlier. Economists pointed out the drain on taxpayers funds and the growing debt due to these pensions....politicians can access them after very short period of being parliamentarians as well, even if they get future employment.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.