CMR 0.00% 15.0¢ compass resources limited

pm to negoiate

1. 362 Posts.
    Mining Journal > Finance > New Australian PM Gillard to negotiate with miners
    New Australian PM Gillard to negotiate with miners
    Finance

Publishing Date24 Jun 2010 10:22am GMTAuthorMining JournalIncoming Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard has vowed to negotiate with mining companies over the proposed Resources Super Profits Tax (RSPT).

Ms Gillard today became Australias first female Prime Minister after ousting Kevin Rudd as Labor Party leader. Mr Rudd had suffered a major slump in opinion polls since announcing his plans to implement the proposed tax on May 2. The country is heading for a general election by April 16 2011.

In her induction speech in Canberra, Welsh-born Ms Gillard said: Australians are entitled to a fairer share of our inheritance, the mineral wealth that lies in our grounds. They are entitled to that fairer share."

But to reach a consensus, we need do more than consult. We need to negotiate. And we must end this uncertainty which is not good for this nation."

That is why today I am throwing open the Governments door to the mining industry and I ask that in return, the mining industry throws open its mind.

Ms Gillards first move to ease hostilities was to cancel all mining advertisements in relation to the tax paid for by the government.

And in return for this, I ask the mining industry to cease their advertising campaign as a show of good faith and mutual respect, she added.

Mining giant BHP Billiton has responded to Ms Gillards request by also ceasing its advertising campaign, the company said.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CMR (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.