HIG 0.00% 10.5¢ highlands pacific limited

Minister confirms Ramu nickel mine shut downThe slurry pipeline...

1. 287 Posts.
    Minister confirms Ramu nickel mine shut down

The slurry pipeline has been very poorly constructed
    Minister for the Environment, Thompson Harokaqueh, has confirmed the Ramu nickel mine owned and operated by MCC has been ordered to stop using the 135km slurry pipeline which connects the mine site to its coastal processing plant. This means the mine is unable to operate as it has no facilities to store mined ore at the mine site.

The Minister made his decision after traveling to inspect the entire mine operation. He was shocked to find the slurry pipeline had been built so close to the main Lae / Madang highway with no protection for the road and in many places flush to the ground so inspection of the pipe condition is impossible.

The mine approvals and permit state the pipeline had to be constructed at least 25 metres from any road and on steel supports so it could be inspected. When pressed for an explanation MCC officials assured the Minister they had been given permission for the design changes. However, MCC boss Dr Wang was only able to produce an Memorandum of Understanding with the Department of Works which said the pipeline could encroach within 8 metres of the road.

An MOU with the Department of Works cannot be used to vary a permit issued by the Department of Works.

Observers are now waiting for a public statement from MCC and disclosure to the Australian Stock Exchange by junior mine partner Highlands Pacific on the situation.http://ramumine.wordpress.com/2012/04/10/minister-confirms-ramu-nickel-mine-shut-down/

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add HIG (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.