re: police drink driving shame/charry3 Yes, in those days you...

1. 1,731 Posts.
    re: police drink driving shame/charry3 Yes, in those days you mention specifically 1982 I remember as a trainee. I was often forced(maybe not the right word) enticed/intimidated to consume the odd beverage on duty by many police partners. This was to indoctrinate me into the police culture and to make sure I could not dob them in. If you dobbed you were labelled a dog, ostrasized, transferred or pressured to quit. So you played the game, just one or 2 but it was how they started you into the CULTURE.

I enjoy a drink myself, but at one stage as a trainee I remember telling friends at a BBQ of non police friends off duty, sorry guys I'll have softdrink, the guys I'm working worth make me drink too much. I remember saying as a joke "Sorry I only drink on duty".

My next story will be how I was pressured to let a Det Sgt off for drink driving and threatened when I had 11 months service, again as a trainee.

Its alright to say don't do it but in those days it was a test to see if you were accepted by peers. These days its not as bad but the culture is still strong. More stories to follow.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.