re: police drink driving story1 In 1982 when I had about 8mths...

1. 1,731 Posts.
    re: police drink driving story1 In 1982 when I had about 8mths police service and had a trainee partner, I was on a nightshift(uniform car General duties). We were sitting outside the Miami High school southbound waiting for speeders or red light runners on the Highway.

We observed a car weaving a bit on the highway and the driver run the red light. I Put on the blue light and siren and the car would not stop, turned onto the lower West Burleigh Road and still would not stop. I called in the rego and announced a pursuit.

The vehicle stopped briefly on the road. I pulled along side and told the driver to turn his engine off, his face looked a little familiar. He was full as a goog and said" I'm not stopping here dickhead it says no parking" he contined to drive off and I called for backup.

I was then told the vehicle was not stolen and eventually intercepted it another km on in James Street Burleigh Heads. The driver came out and we had words, " He said, Do you know who the F... I am? I said, No." he said Det Sgt ... of the Broadbeach CIB thats who." I said words to the effect of you should have enough brains to be not driving p1ssed (this was in the .08% days and he would have been well over .25%) He said, "I don't give an F, you and your mate put me on the bag, but see what happens to you boys and where you are transferred to Monday, would you like Arakoon or Bamaga?"

I conferred with my other inexperienced partnet I new I could summons the guy later on for indicia instead of risking taking him in for a Breathalyser and we left him on the side of the road after a torrent of further abuse. Went back to see the S/Sgt for advice he said. "Boys if you brought him in you he would have gone under.". I said "What, he's blind" S/Sgt said "He would have been wound down on the Machine(Breathalyser), no one would work with you blokes and next week or 2 you are off to the bush, thats how it works". Spoke to other Senior police about it the next day and same response. Yes you had to play the game. 10yrs later he was in a unmarked police vehicle 2 hours after his duty finnished full off p again as usually, this time hit 2 parked cars at the Broadbeach shops and fled the scene. Turned up to face the music the next day. Covered up again, told to retire and collect his superannuation or he would be charged, he left the next month. Him and others were often p1ssed and we had to ignore it unless the hit someone or something, it was like the protitution thing it was out there but could not do anything about it for fear of persecution or losing your job. More stories later.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.