PNA 0.00% $1.84 panaust limited

policy of hedging 50% at us$1.45/lb copper, page-17

1. 1,086 Posts.
    the hedging is not new news and i think all that mikayla has done is to prepare us for a quarterly report that may not be as profitable as we all hoped - however bringing attention to it just days before the report is announced doesn't really change what has been common knowledge for the last few months.

mikayla may have given us a reality check for the short term but long term may not be an issue - with all of this wild discussion about hedging i have yet to see a definitive statement regarding PNA's actual hedge. can anybody supply full details and analysis?

i think some people imagine that copper could have been hedged at $US4.00/lb last year - i very much doubt that. hedging requires you to accept a much discounted price and $US4.00 doesn't meet that requirement. early this year most thought that hedging at any price was the prudent way to proceed so what we are seeing now is 20/20 hindsight.

it's easy to criticise management for not having hedged production when copper was above $US4.00 but most thought it would rise even higher. critics should also try and name any copper miner who did hedge when prices were at all time highs - i don't know of any. if the copper price hadn't bounced back from $US1.30 lows then there would be a large contingent criticising why no hedge had been put in place at $US1.95.

in summary PNA management can't accurately predict the future just the same as none of us can. they can't be given a 100% report card but they have protected us from being totally wiped out.

as far as copper being priced in $US and the fear of hyper-inflation and/or devaluation : my take is that the copper price will outstrip the devaluation so the rise in copper price will still be hugely beneficial to PNA.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PNA (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.