Political Utopias, page-3

1. 1,767 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 231
    You seem to like pigeon holing people Mick, I assume it makes it easier for you in some way.
    "populists resent academia" really?

Just googled 'populism' 1st definition that came up is ;

noun - a political approach that strives to appeal to ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established elite groups.

Now if the above definition is anywhere near the truth and you live in a western democracy, to dismiss populism as anti intellectual suggests a lack of  awareness at the very least.

To me populism expresses culture, to disregard populism as necessarily 'bad' 'dumb' 'anti intellectual' you are actually suggesting culture is same, a big call as culture is defined by a group of people living common circumstance over time.

Not suggesting all cultures are of high intelligence (obviously not) but to dimiss all as anti intellectual problematic.

Political Utopia in Oz for me is an unobtainable concept but if we have to start somewhere;

1. Ban ALL political donations (refer above established elite)
    2. Fully independent ICAC.
    3. Stop looking at Oz as a short term marketplace but view it as a long term evolving nation.
    4. Make sure every pollie understands the concept of 'governance' does not mean 'self interest'.

Would be a good start.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.