MKY mky resources ltd

politicial lobbying intensifying

1. 547 Posts.
    I realize we're all in the mood for other news atm but thought this was worth posting. Reported in the Brisbane papers yesterday. If we have uranium hang onto your hats.
    THE State Government is under pressure to scrap bans on uranium mining in a high stakes push led by former Labor party heavyweight Tony McGrady.

The Mount Isa-based former "Minister for Everything" is on the payroll of Toronto-based resources company Laramide Ltd and has emerged as a key player in the international bid to get the Bligh Government to overturn the bans.
    But the former Mines Minister who retired after 17 years as a state MP in September last year denied he would use his influence to exact change in the Queensland ALP.

"No-one owes me any favours. I will simply go in and talk and explain the wisdom of adopting a policy of allowing uranium mines," Mr McGrady said.

He said the change in the federal ALP policy on uranium mining before last month's election opened the way for Queensland to become a key player on the global uranium market.

"The world is hungry for uranium . . . the world is ready for nuclear energy.

"Anna Bligh has not put a foot wrong since she became Premier, and I think she will see the wisdom of lifting these administrative bans," Mr McGrady said.

Figures show 251 uranium prospecting licences have been issued in resource-rich Queensland.

The ALP dumped its longstanding no-new-mines policy at the national conference in April, potentially paving the way for a lifting on prohibition in Queensland and Western Australia.

In a recent letter to investors, Laramide president Marc Henderson said the repudiation of the Three Mines Policy in April was a huge step forward.

"We continue to believe that Australia will become the world's largest player in uranium production, but that any further clarity on the question of permitting in individual states like Queensland and Western Australia is off the table until after the federal election."

Laramide has interests in a large deposit on the Queensland/Northern Territory border, north of Mt Isa, at Westmoreland – one of four major uranium deposits identified in the state.

But Mines Minister Geoff Wilson said the Government had a long-standing policy against uranium mining in Queensland.

"We also brought in new laws this year that ban nuclear facilities, including power stations and radioactive waste dumps in Queensland," Mr Wilson's statement said.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MKY (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.