Portfolio, page-170

1. 16,658 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8106
    "I feel a bit of an imposter on here and that's good thing. It reminds me of an earlier conversation we had re priorities and aging, and my lack of acting /stalling. I ve been thinking a lot about spending far less time in this investing lark(the thrill is waning) and doing things that create more rewarding human etc outcomes for self and others, planet etc.
    . Also taking less risk investment wise as I head towards 70. So that refresh (thanks) has me planning changes soon and actually actioning them. Im 37% cash atm some put aside for a lower risk option outside of equities. I will start shifting much more to funds , etfs etc and more utility type dividend stocks mainly here in NZ."

@Dejavoo,

Like you, I'm no longer in the spring of life, not even the summer, so philosophically I place a rising premium on the value on my time. So, if something is no longer fun for me, if I have a choice then I choose to not do that thing.

"One quality small cap you may be int in (if you haven't looked already) is LAU Lindsay transport. They've done well especially their chilled railway wagons, taking advantage of the demise of Scott and being very smart efficient operators, back hauling etc. Thanks to you know who for pointing that stock (and others out to me."

I know LAU reasonably well, and I like it enough to have built a financial model for the company (although it hasn't been updated for the past 2 financial results). Maybe I'll do so before too long and then take the liberty of sharing my findings.

"Finally , this earth, my feeling its maybe too late to stop this warming and that most of these "green" solutions atpit are making things worse pollution wise and we need some big new energy/tech breakthrough to maybe make di fference. Do you think it's a big crock of bull dust or?"

I don't take a catastrophic view of matters. Having studied geology and now studying astronomy, I see history pointing to the earth having a great many built-in self-moderating mechanisms and even if it takes a hundred years for those mechanisms to reverse the trends, I'm a believer in the ability for humanity and its innate ingenuity to overcome the challenges posed by a slowly changing climate.

So I don't experience the existential angst which I increasingly see in the developed world. (Funnily enough, climate anxiety is totally absent in the poor countries I have visited in recent years; I was in Africa in March this year as well as April last year. Truly happy folk. They have very few possessions and luxuries, yet they are far happier than us fully self-actualised Westerners.)

If I am pressed to worry about something, then it would be something that mankind is unable to control, such as the flipping of the earth's magnetic poles, which has happened each few hundred thousand years on average. When this happens the magnetopause loses integrity and is unable to continue to shield earth from the harmful solar winds.

Studies of the ocean floors indicate that the last time this occurred was around 770,000 years ago, so we are long overdue for a reversal. And the earth's magnetic field is weakening currently (by about 5% per year), plus the magnetic north pole is moving at an accelerating rate:

https://www.newsweek.com/earth-magn...ws-unusual-path-races-towards-siberia-1789823

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/3105/...tecting-our-planet-from-harmful-space-energy/

(Don't mean to be alarmist because reversal of the earth's magnetic field, were it to happen, would take many years, but if it does occur, it will be an event that causes all sorts of problems for humanity and there will not be very much that we would be able to do in terms of taking evasive action.)

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.