THR 0.00% 1.6¢ thor energy plc

possible victim of short selling from 50 cents

1. 7,295 Posts.

Hello Everyone,

As many Posters would know, I consider that THR was a possible Victim of Short Selling from approx. the 50 Cent Level and now I've found a Posting which illustrates what I've Posted about on this in the past. Like anything 'Greed' comes into play with Short Sellers and it is extremely possible that THR Shares have been driven down excessively to these present levels. It is possible that THR Shares were also loaned out by Nominee Companies for this Short Selling Practice.

The Quote Posting:-"It's legal, the shorters take risks as well."
    It?s legal because its made legal in favour of shorters by law makers and advisers who themselves make money through these instruments. Now that are to bring in a second generation CFD's that are banned in other countries. Prime motive of our trading sheriff, as a listed company, is to make money.
    And tax exemptions: "The Government is also believed to be looking at whether to remove a capital gains tax exemption on profits made using borrowed stock, reducing the attractiveness of share lending. Other countries allow stock lending but do not have the same tax exemptions available in Australia."
    Market cowboys reined in
    By Adele Ferguson and David Uren
    March 07, 2008 03:40am
    Article from:
    THE Australian Securities Exchange and the corporate regulator will close a loophole that has allowed anonymous speculators to drive down share prices ? causing massive stock market volatility and pushing companies close to collapse ? with Wayne Swan is investigating whether the moves should be backed up with new laws.
    The changes are designed to crack down on the practice of "stock lending", in which third parties such as international hedge funds borrow shares to trade the market, often betting that stocks will fall.
    Industry sources say that at any point in time up to $200 billion of Australian shares - more than 15 per cent of the entire stock market - are loaned to traders.
    Australia's $1.1 trillion superannuation industry warehouses its shares with "custodian" companies, which offer a discount for the service if the fund allows the shares to be lent to third parties.
    When the traders with borrowed stock use short-selling techniques to target individual stocks, such as Allco Finance Group and ABC Learning Centres, they can send shares into a tailspin.
    Short selling is the legal practice of selling a share the broker does not own in the hope of buying it later at a lower price for a profit.
    Brokers must report their clients' "short" positions in stocks, giving investors an indication of whether other traders believe a stock might fall.
    Until now, however, brokers believed they were not required to report short positions if their clients were using borrowed stock.
    The ASX yesterday moved to end "ambiguity" over the issue, telling stockbrokers they had a duty to report all short selling by clients - even those using borrowed stock - or risk heavy fines or up to six months in jail.
    The Treasurer yesterday also called on the ASX and the corporate regulator, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, to report on the adequacy of regulation covering stock lending to determine if changes to the Corporations Act were required.
    The Government is also believed to be looking at whether to remove a capital gains tax exemption on profits made using borrowed stock, reducing the attractiveness of share lending. Other countries allow stock lending but do not have the same tax exemptions available in Australia.
    The Government is not planning to outlaw the practices of stock lending and short selling but rather to insist that full disclosure is made.
    "I welcome the regulators' recent action, to clarify the obligations of market participants to keep the market well-informed," Mr Swan said yesterday.
    "Both ASIC and ASX have provided me with preliminary assessments, and I have asked for a further brief on the progress of their work so far, ahead of a more complete assessment in coming weeks.
    "In response to these initial assessments, I have already asked the Treasury to explore our legislative options, including amendments to the Corporations Act that could potentially clear up some of these issues. Together the Government and the regulators have been keeping an eagle eye on developments in the markets."
    Stock lending cannot be traced and the ASX, which runs and regulates the Australian Stock Exchange and Sydney Futures Exchange, admits it has no idea what proportion of shares have been "lent" to traders.
    ASX chief Robert Elstone has admitted current market practices may give rise to under-reporting of short-selling: "Over time, short sale activity reported by brokers has understated the scale of the activity due principally to the fact that clients of brokers (particularly hedge funds) do not all interpret their legislative obligation to report short sales to brokers in the same way."
    The ASX will also review the removal of particular stocks from the approved short sale list to make sure those on the list have enough liquidity. In recent weeks, hedge funds have been targeting illiquid stocks, which are more easily manipulated by short selling techniques.
    When reports began circulating in January that hedge funds were borrowing shares from superannuation funds and using them to drive down prices, ASIC chairman Tony D'Aloisio dismissed suggestions there was a problem.
    "We haven't seen evidence that short-selling in the traditional way is an issue here. Stock lending has been going on for some time and, in itself, does not raise issues," he told a business seminar last month.
    However, Mr Swan wrote to both Mr D'Aloisio and to the ASX the following day, requesting a report on the practice.
    Ewan Crouch, Allens Corporate law partner with Allens Arthur Robinsons, said the worst of the problem would be avoided if the market knew that borrowed shares were being sold.
    "The principle of the market is that you need transparency about who you are dealing with and in what capacity they are dealing, because otherwise it is difficult to establish a reasonable price for shares," he said.
    Melbourne University corporate law professor Ian Ramsay said it was appropriate for Treasury to review short selling, noting that the Securities and Exchange Commission in the US was also investigating the practice.
    "My personal view is it is appropriate for the Treasurer to undertake a review, but I'd be surprised if that led to any significant regulation that led to substantial reduction in short-selling," he said.
    "I'm not sure we want to restrict short selling. It has been a common practice for many years, but there are issues as to transparency in the market about short selling and its effect on market efficiency and market stability //End Quote

I've subsquently to this Quote given 'Ticks' to both Mr. Wayne Swan and Ewan Crouch.

THR are on the 'road to recovery' and completion soon of a Finance deal perhaps with Two to Three Years Borrowed Funds including possible Convertiable Notes will see a much improved Share Price.

No responsibility taken for any losses in association with this Posting.

Regards,

moly

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add THR (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
1.6¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $3.760M
Open High Low Value Volume
1.6¢ 1.6¢ 1.6¢ $426 26.62K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 64630 1.6¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
1.7¢ 278180 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 12.21pm 09/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
THR (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.