Post Grad Geo Course, page-8

1. 4,444 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1668
    I was looking into upskilling. I've got a decade's exploration experience, now out of work 18 months.

Postgrad diplomas aren't worth it IMO unless you are in work. You need to be in work to firstly afford it, and secondly be able to maybe cut a tax break. But if you are in work, most companies won't free up your roster for you to go complete a course.

IMO, yo need to diversify your skills, not double-down on geology and add $25K HECS debt on top of the turd pie. Go for something which at least partly meshes in with the mining industry and is a value-add not just an add-on to an already valueless industry.

There's a few options I'm looking at, mostly via TAFE;
    - Diploma of management
    - Diploma of Logistics
    - Diploma of Finance

Grad Certificates in project management are possibly OK if you're mid-level management material. Same for grad cert's in management, logistics, etc. They tend to cost an arm and a leg though. Plus side is, you can upgrade them to Grad Dip's or Masters levels.

I've also considered a MSc via Research, but my quals have expired academically, so you need some shennanigans to get in. Also not sure that 2 years is long enough to hide in academia in order to avoid the bust.

Meanwhle...driving Ubers.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.