Post Grad Geo Course, page-20

1. 2,135 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 61
    I would recommend an applied MSc. You can study at UWA, James Cook and U Tas. Very practical and after a few years in the field you tend to narrow your focus to a couple of commodities and deposit types and need to broaden out again. You should also know what you don't know by now.

An MBA is also handy but unless you study at one of the top 10 MBA universities in the world (and expect to pay >$150,000) you should not expect a job based on your MBA only. It is a set of tools you can use or not use. Geos tend to have weak management skills compared to mining engineers. I spent the first 10 years in the field with 1 or 2 fieldies. As I moved into management positions I had over 200-300 people working for me and the MBA came in handy. Studying for an MBA you also meet a lot of people outside of your speciality and outside of the mineral industry. I met doctors, chemists, lawyers, teachers, etc. MBA = Mediocre But Arrogant.

Another alternative is a MSc in mineral economics available at Curtin. Helped me a lot when I was reviewing mineral projects later in my career.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.