I understand the usual sentiment that one cannot attack a whole...

1. 11,851 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 233
    I understand the usual sentiment that one cannot attack a whole religion.

Religions should be immune from verbal attack. Picture a wholesome, pleasant plump vicar standing outside his rural church on a Sunday morning shaking hands with his parishioners as they go home to the family roast lunch. Religions are the personal belief systems of individuals.

Now if a religion, with its view of the afterlife and origin of man is wound together with a political and military movement then the political and military movement also enjoys the shield of protection from criticism.

A huge military force is at war with us in the middle east. Our soldiers and airman are trying to kill its members. They are trying to kill our soldiers, with fire and bullets, nothing subtle. Our enemy has declared this to be a religious war, he flies a flag with a religious inscription. Have we got to the stage where we can drop bombs on our enemy but not criticise him.

This is a reversal of the old saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me". Islam is at war with us, Australians are dropping Australian made bombs on those flying an Islamic flag, that's ok but critical words are banned?

bacci

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.