Potatoes - Fish'n Chips and things

1. 17,889 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 145
    I am hoping to get a better type of potato chip, into our lives.

I have recently been to a classy beach side restaurant - the fish was great so was the salad, but 'chips' remained tasted once and uneaten by me and many other diners as well.
    which got me thinking: chips are everywhere, in cheap places, in the traditional fish'n chips places - McDonalds - good restaurants, bad restaurants, yet they often are not nice to eat. We just eat them out of habit, maybe the sense of something familiar, stable has something to do with it.

I only got to know the 'totally fried' potato in Belgium where I was sent after the war as a child to be turned from skeletal to somewhat rotund, which did happen. I loved their way of eating potatoes which was in a fryer, but in the shape of thin slices, like our salted potato crisps (or in French: Pommes frites), but hot and fresh from the fryer with some fish - that was something else.
    I later discovered a shop in my hometown which did the same thing, except they fried the potato (very thin slices) in goose fat - that was amazing.
    Now ladies and gents: give me your favourite way of cooking potatoes; plain boiled or mashed, or in salad, or baked with cheese, or if you use the potato royals - ready-to-cook from Coles (which I use at times), please - maybe HotCopper can start a potato revolution.
    Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.