CGF 0.29% $6.89 challenger limited

Potential takeover target, page-42

1. 310 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 13
    "Challenger does have business risks, but balance sheet pressure is not one of them, and nor will it be if the share price falls. Because, when it comes to Challenger's solvency position, how its book value compares to its market value is totally irrelevant to its abilities to pay its creditors."

On solvency, I was referring to the scenario of the non-marked to market asset value shortfall in the context of a run on FUM in our investment management business, as well as a marked to market negative investment experience. I see a possible correlated negative movement on the book and cash available. I'm not touting this to be any immediate risk or even as a serious solvency risk. I firmly believe CGF would be able to raise $ as required - a disaster for shareholder value, but the company would easily survive.

"So the mindset when investing in CGF should therefore be no different to the mindset of investing in IVC. "

Can't agree with you there, I value IVC with very low risk adjustment due to the nature of death & its irrelevance of market conditions. CGFs business is retirement income, a thing easily obtained in many many places - albeit nothing quite like an annuity.

"I often wonder to myself why it hasn't already happened years ago, especially since the world has been awash with very cheap capital for the past decade since the GFC. "

I too wonder, but I will resign my judgement for the day my future kids close out my will. My best guess is the COE margin we run is too low to incentivise a competitor to make the effort...but that ROE is gold.

There are massive barriers to entry but equally so is the market opportunity, there are many organisations with the capital, regulatory & investment knowledge who could compete. I don't believe the annuity specific actuarial IP is anything the 4 big banks, any large international bank, AMP.. etc couldn't develop if they don't already have it. It only takes one to challenge.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CGF (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.