FMG 1.56% $18.27 fortescue ltd

EV vs hydrogen, what a tussle!There are lots of known unknowns....

1. 378 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 196
    EV vs hydrogen, what a tussle!

There are lots of known unknowns. For hydrogen, the key words are "once the distribution has been solved". So the hydrogen applications are in the future. In that case we should not compare hydrogen to the current generation of lithium batteries. By the time hydrogen is ready to compete, battery storage will most likely be better than it is now. Will it be the solid state batteries Toyota is touting? I'll be watching for developments on that front before making any firm predictions. Whatever form future batteries take, I'd hazard a guess that they will be light and durable enough to work in SUVs and wipe out competition from hydrogen. They might even work for bigger trucks.

I suspect it will be EXTREMELY difficult for hydrogen bowsers to spring up everywhere. But you can have an EV charge point anywhere on the grid. If you're not on the grid, where the sun shines and the wind blows, you can put in some panels and a bit of storage. Like the batteries, EV charging will also be much further advanced than it is now by the time consumer level hydrogen bowsers are ready to roll out and trying to compete.

As for green steel, won't it be made using green hydrogen? This is the flip side of the argument. For BIIIIG things, i.e. industrial scale heat and electricity, batteries are out of the question. This is where hydrogen is in the game.

Happy to be corrected on any of this. It's an interesting subject.
    Last edited by KerrAvon: 06/07/23

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FMG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$18.27
Change
-0.290(1.56%)
Mkt cap ! $56.25B
Open High Low Value Volume
$18.70 $18.72 $18.21 $313.4M 17.09M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 45418 $18.27

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$18.30 1200 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 30/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
FMG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.