FMG 0.45% $22.10 fortescue ltd

POWER!!!! Fortescue Future Industries, page-2981

1. 361 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 189
    I appreciate some of what he says, but from my perspective he is also engaging in greenwashing. The terrible consequences of climate change he outlines have come in no small part from the burning of coal to melt down the iron ore he produces. So if he really cared about the additional deaths from heat stress he wouldn't be selling iron ore. The clear imperative emerging from the science is that fossil fuel burning needs to stop now. It is not enough for it to stop when China decides it has enough of an economic advantage and can wind back the coal-fired steel production and all the rest. (2060 if I recall correctly from China's farcical emissions targets). Also the technologies Andrew Forrest is touting are all future technologies, so they clearly fail to meet the demands of what the science is telling us, because they are not ready now. In fact the only way he can build all that renewable capacity is to burn coal, gas and oil.

So what you have to do to be a greenwasher is to conspicuously ignore the myriad ways you are contributing to emissions, and loudly trumpet the CGI videos you have made about things that you plan to do in the future if everything works out OK.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FMG (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.