FMG 0.45% $22.10 fortescue ltd

POWER!!!! Fortescue Future Industries, page-2988

1. 361 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 189
    Senectus and TonyIndo, thank you for replying and engaging.

Senectus, I don't think he is "absolutely owning up to it". He says it himself, you should be judged on how you prosecute the pursuit of profit, if you know it will cause harm to the planet. Selling iron ore to China, in my view, means he is 'shamefully' profiting from something that harms the planet because of all the coal that gets burned to make the steel which ultimately pays his bills. He says people should be accountable to the science, but the science says fossil fuel use needs to stop which would mean he'd go out of business because China won't buy his product if it can't burn coal to process it.

He actually makes a whole lot of assumptions which I disagree with. Things like, "you can only do things if you have the money first". Well how on earth did FDR pay for the war effort that defeated Imperial Japan and the Nazis in 1944-5? "Universities only exist because companies make profits". I think the best ones were established by governments. "We MUST continue to enjoy the standard of living we have now." That one's almost scary to me. "We have the technology to fix this". We don't, even though I enjoy being reminded of Steve Austin, the Six Million Dollar Man.

All these preconditions placed on climate solutions are ludicrous. For example, AF's apparent conviction that it MUST be left to the market. In reality we'll all burn and boil and melt the same, and the market will not exist if the free enterprise zealots who run the world continue as they have been.

Conversely, there are the "left wing" preconditions, perhaps advocated by the woman who asked him the question about capitalism. If your idea of addressing inequality involves letting poor countries burn fossil fuels, you had better come up with something else, because their fledgling industries won't get far, especially if the workers are dying because it hits 50 degrees every summer.

Oh well, it could be worse I suppose, there are always ludicrous comments like the one by PseudoEcho. Just ridiculous.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FMG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$22.10
Change
0.100(0.45%)
Mkt cap ! $68.04B
Open High Low Value Volume
$21.99 $22.22 $21.87 $84.79M 3.834M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 9803 $22.09

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$22.11 10620 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 12/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
FMG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.