FMG 0.45% $22.10 fortescue ltd

"These deaths (as horrible as they are) are offset by the...

1. 361 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 189
    "These deaths (as horrible as they are) are offset by the reduction in deaths due the cold;"

I don't think it works that way. What happens is that places which are already very hot cross a threshold, where for a certain number of days in the year they suddenly become death traps for an unacceptably high proportion of the population. The places that have been super cold death traps for centuries don't balance it out because people already don't live there. Why would they live in known death traps? Also extreme heat is more deadly than extreme cold, because there are more low-tech ways to shelter from the latter. But I'll happily look at any evidence you have to the contrary if you have links etc.

"So how would the world build new houses, hospitals, schools, trains, cars, ships, ports, furniture, telecommunication towers, computers, stoves, pots, refrigerators, freezers, TVs, irrigation pipes, tractors, tyres, electrical cables and all the other so-called "redemption" stuff like wind turbines and solar panels."

The answer is, you don't build those things, you do your best to get by without them. If there's scarcity, you just have to prioritise things. So we cancel the Dodge RAMS, high-rise holiday apartments, and iphones first, but the hospitals and food production come last. Additionally, you might be able to cancel, I dunno, Channel 10, or the War Memorial, and use all the buildings for new schools and hospitals to avoid having to build them. So huzzah, schools and hospitals stay and we are free of rubbish television and boring year 6 school excursions. Everybody wins.

OK, I'm being somewhat subjective with my examples, and as I said, my ideas are not palatable for most people at the moment. But it's really looking like this SORT of thing will have appeal, sooner than we thought. The calculus is, is any hardship caused by the cancellation worse than the hardship caused by the imminent climate disasters. It's not just humidity, by the way. We could be in for a global famine which will cause hyper-inflation of food prices here, mass death in poor countries, and a recession that makes COVID look like a party. We could have cities wiped out by hurricanes and sea level rise, we could have cities like Sydney endure water crises like Cape Town did a few years ago.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FMG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$22.10
Change
0.100(0.45%)
Mkt cap ! $68.04B
Open High Low Value Volume
$21.99 $22.22 $21.87 $84.79M 3.834M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 9803 $22.09

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$22.11 10620 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 12/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
FMG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.