FMG 0.46% $21.52 fortescue ltd

Hi JB,The issue with sending something out in front is that the...

1. 1,025 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 187
    Hi JB,

The issue with sending something out in front is that the track is a shared track and is a single track for most of the length. The track is broken into blocks within which each train consist travels and has right of way for each block. Any oncoming empties generally seek refuge in the sidings to allow the loaded consists to pass. So if we have something on track in front of the train it will interfere and reduce these block lengths (If that makes sense). The automated dolley would have to be at least 10km ahead in order to allow the loaded train to brake and slow to avoid whatever the dolley identifies. The track blocks are live and monitored electronically from the remote hub here in Perth and regularly inspected and maintained. What happened to our train was a freak accident and I'm sure it is being looked at as part of continuous leaning and lessons learnt exercise to ensure it doesn't happen again.

The ties (sleepers) used are concrete and are some 200mm deep by 200mm wide and 2.8m long spaced about every 650mm. Combined with the ballast to keep the track aligned this "should" be enough force to hold the track in place and it is more likely to move due to subsidence from water erosion in a rain event rather than warping due to heat. These tracks are designed to withstand the forces applied due to the stringless rail expanding and contracting. The ballast is regularly tamped to keep everything in check.

I could go on but that would be a discussion at a pub with a few beers and a nice long sunny afternoon lol.

All the best

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FMG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$21.52
Change
-0.100(0.46%)
Mkt cap ! $66.25B
Open High Low Value Volume
$21.60 $21.61 $21.25 $97.49M 4.544M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 3904 $21.52

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$21.54 4837 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 22/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
FMG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.