Was just digging around and found this Parliamentary report. I...

1. 258 Posts.
    Was just digging around and found this Parliamentary report. I could not see a date on it but I guess was done around H2 20123 or early 2014.

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliam...ary_Library/pubs/BriefingBook44p/EnergyPrices

Some of the commentary within:
    "The rate of price increases for electricity and gas is expected to moderate in most states and territories over the next few years after a period of significant rises."
    "In real terms—that is, taking into account the general increase in prices across all goods and services—prices for households increased on average by 72% for electricity and 54% for gas in the 10 years to June 2013."
    "In recent years, much of the increase in prices has been attributed to the need to invest in the network component because of previous underinvestment in maintaining the network or to increase capacity. Also important has been the impact of policies to address environmental issues."
    "In the case of electricity, the rate of price increase is expected to moderate in the next few years. Overall, household electricity prices are expected to increase at an average of 3% over the next year, with outcomes varying across jurisdictions from a high of 16% in the Northern Territory to a 1% fall in prices in South Australia."

Hard to find reliable electricity price increases since 2013, but aside from the carbon tax removal year I seem to recall that every year there have been significant increases (between 10% and 20%) - I could be wrong, happy to be corrected.

The worst part is that governments seem only to provide lip service to doing anything about it. Is generally a state issue, but it seems to affect all states and none of them seem to be making any effort to understand it in detail and setting policy accordingly.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.