morning all, the way I see it is this -- if I accept the human...

1. 80,775 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    morning all,

the way I see it is this --

if I accept the human causation of a good deal of climate change is correct - plus a more normal warming coming out of the past ice age --- then, I have these thoughts instantly appear.

A. it would appear that the planet is or was a self adjusting entity - ref. if it wasn't - none of us would be here.

B. if it is true that this change presently is unprecedented - then, surely there can be no extrapolation of evidence from the past that will accurately predict the future for us climatically

which leads me to the conclusion that - the planet could well do anything in response -- but, it most certainly could pop up with a new ice age rapidly to correct what's happening now

What IMO we humans should do, is to sit down and realise is that unless you own a coal company or an oil company - then, pretty much all of us actually want the same things -

we all want a nice clean safe planet

we all want power

we all want that power to be cheap, reliable, environmentally friendly, fully sustainable and secure - not only for the present - but, for as far into the future as we dare to gaze

So - that really only gives us a few options --

coal is out

gas is out

weather dependant power generation is out (we have climate change remember - with unknown short term consequences and 'known' long term consequences - ie. one day however far away - we will have an ice age)

nuclear is out for the longer term - but, might be ok for short term

for the long term - we need something completely different - eventually we will want pretty much unlimited power that can operate without the continual use of resources that are finite, it will also have to be able to happily operate in full drought conditions, an ice age, a warm age, full sky cover from dust ---------- pretty much anything nature can throw at us whilst the planet is still habitable -- and, it will have to be able to operate in space as well.

That is what we should be spending our resources on right now ----------- nothing less.

IMO - stick some nuclear plants on the ground short term and stop wasting money on everything else bar researching and developing what will be the holy grail -

it will exist -- it's just up to us to find it - and, find it as soon as possible.

Lets not leave it to our children of the future to work out how to survive an ice age or something as bad.

Start now.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.