1AI 0.00% 0.9¢ algorae pharmaceuticals limited

David Cunliffe21 May, 2008A proper process for...

1. 179 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    David Cunliffe

21 May, 2008

A proper process for xenotransplantation
    The Minister of Health David Cunliffe today reaffirmed that a proper and rigorous process is underway in consideration of the xenotransplantation application by Living Cells Technology (LCT).

He noted that as LCT is a publicly listed company, the process is also bound by the requirements of the Securities Act.

“The key issues under consideration include the level and nature of stakeholder consultation and a final assessment of risk factors.

“The decision is a complex one in part because the high probability of a positive impact on a limited number of diabetes sufferers needs to be balanced against the low probability of a potentially very serious porcine retrovirus, affecting a broader population.”

“The risk factors are hard to quantify but the government is taking any risk factor very seriously”.

“I am not in the habit of being a rubber stamp where public safety is concerned “, David Cunliffe said.

“The impression left by last night’s Close-up programme that people were dying because I was not prepared to pick up a pen is nothing short of downright unbalanced and unfair. It is utterly misleading that my approval is a mere formality as I have responsibilities for the health and safety of all New Zealanders”.

“I want to make it clear to New Zealand that while the application is for a clinical trial involving only 8 diabetes subjects, there are risks associated with this not only for the subjects but also for the wider public .”

‘Unfortunately last night diabetes sufferers were led to believe that a cure for the disease was being withheld from them Nothing could be further from the truth as this clinical trial is not offering a cure.”

“Quite apart from misrepresenting my position, I am appalled that Close-Up has misled the public on this very serious matter”.

Mr Cunliffe said the story on Close-up was “an advertorial for LCT masquerading as journalism. I am seriously considering a formal complaint under the Broadcasting Act.”

Could explain the recent run-up in SP over the past week...although some of his comments are not overly reassuring to say the least.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add 1AI (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
0.9¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $15.18M
Open High Low Value Volume
0.9¢ 1.0¢ 0.9¢ $7.027K 780.3K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 35383 0.9¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
1.0¢ 280097 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 15.57pm 22/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
1AI (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.