CVN 3.13% 15.5¢ carnarvon energy limited

Price drop, page-19

1. 203 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 63
    Competitors are eyeing off CVN for their Roebuck position – the potential for multiple, large oil fields in the shallow water of an established, stable jurisdiction. In my opinion, it is very unlikely that STO will launch a hostile bid on CVN because to do so will almost certainly provoke one or more counter-offers, resulting in an auction. That’s good for holders, but bad for STO, who are still struggling with debt and can ill-afford to partake in a bidding war. STO are more likely to sit tight and consolidate with CVN as JV partners, knowing that should a bid be thrown at CVN, they still have pre-emption rights (as difficult as that funding may be). The longer that bidding war is staved off, the better position they will be in to match a bid.

Also interesting to note that CVN’s 20% is probably less than most of the big boys would like. I think that the likes of Woodside, Chevron, Exxon etc would think twice about paying big to take a minority position in a JV with a mid-tier, mostly onshore player. Frankly, they’re more likely to eyeing off STO!

In the end, I fully expect CVN to eventually get swallowed, because the capital demands to get this online and maintain an active program will eventually make them vulnerable. Should be a very profitable ending, though!

"That’s just the way it is….Some things will never change....That's just the way it is..."

mutineer

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CVN (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.