MLX 0.00% 43.5¢ metals x limited

Found this article on Time.com Has anyone read anything about...

1. 116 Posts.
    Found this article on Time.com Has anyone read anything about the US reducing their tin stockpiles? It doesn't seem to be doing much to the LME stockpile tho.

The market has quivered, waiting for the U.S. to say when and how it would sell so large an amount of tin, and for what price. Despite State Department denials, rumors persist in London (where world price patterns are set) that the U.S. intends to dump its stocks at rock-bottom prices to help out the U.S. steelmakers, who are the prime users of tin (for cans). Equally persistent are contrary rumors that the U.S. will set a high price because it paid relatively high prices for the stockpiled tin and does not want to lose money. The U.S. has another good reason to keep prices up: tin-producing nations (except Malaya) are among the biggest recipients of foreign aid, and a drop in their incomes would inspire demands for more aid.

To prevent wild swings in the prices, the six major producing nations are joined with 14 consuming countries in the International Tin Council. The I.T.C. was able to moderate the Russian dumping by enforcing strict output quotas on its members and by putting pressure on Moscow, which is reluctant to insult the politically sensitive producing nations. But the I.T.C. is not a very toothy dragon because the U.S., which accounts for 23% of the world's annual tin consumption of 215,000 tons, refuses to join on the grounds that the I.T.C. smacks too much of an international cartel. Last month Washington rebuffed an I.T.C. attempt to negotiate price controls on sales from the U.S. surplus stockpile. And it took buying by the I.T.C. itself, increasing its reserves by about 600 tons, to stop the price slide at $1.03. The London Economist complained: "The I.T.C. got a better response from Russia in the crisis of 1958."

This week the U.S. promises to make public the details of its tin disposal program. Washington officials contend that the market will be able to absorb the sales from the stockpile because world production has fallen an average of 26,000 tons short of demand in each of the last four years-largely because of political crises in the Congo and Indonesia. The man who will direct the U.S.'s sales, General Services Administration Executive John Croston, has tried to calm fears of U.S. dumping by saying that the sales would be spaced out over five years, with just enough marketed at any one time to fill the gap between free world supply and demand. But the tantalizing question is what price the U.S. would sell at—and those speculators who guess correctly stand to make tidy sums.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MLX (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
43.5¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $394.2M
Open High Low Value Volume
42.5¢ 44.0¢ 42.5¢ $225.7K 520.7K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 57713 43.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
43.5¢ 24066 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 09/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
MLX (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.