priced in gold, crash already well under way

1. 2,755 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 27
    I have collected median house & spot Gold/Silver data over the last 35 years and put it all into an excel table. For Gold/Silver I have taken Perth Mint monthly spot data (AUD figure) and averaged it over each 12 month period. Housing prices are annual medians until 2003 and then March quarterly medians from APM (hard to collate recent data).

I am yet to decide how I am going to graph/chart it, but to share a couple of interesting snippets....

Priced in Gold, Sydney's median house price has already crashed over 50%.
    It peaked at 987 ounces for a median house ($552k house, $559 Gold) in 2004 and currently sits at approximately 426 ounces ($609k house, $1430 Gold). In 1980 one could purchase a median home with 127 ounces.

Average price of Silver over 1980 was $19.80 in AUD.

In 1980 one could purchase a house in Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide or Hobart for less than 2000 ounces of Silver. What would it cost you today (rounded to nearest 100)?

Brisbane - 21,000 ounces
    Melbourne - 25,600 ounces
    Adelaide - 20,900 ounces
    Hobart - 14,800 ounces

Keep in mind that these is annual averages, Silver in AUD actually had a monthly average of $36.85 in January 1980, almost twice as high as the annual average. If timed right you could have purchased a median house in any of these 4 cities for around 1000 ounces of Silver.

Some scary figures above....What does it all mean though? Will we see houses correct or the precious metals rocket higher to meet historical ratios?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.