productivity question

1. 2,158 Posts.
    I am searching for where productivity gains have come from in the last year and going through RBA document: http://www.rba.gov.au/publications/bulletin/2012/jun/pdf/bu-0612.pdf

I have more work to do but was told on the politics thread that ALP has achieved a productivity gain. Here is where some of it came from does anybody else know what has added to "productivity" because this just looks like a shift away from our manufacturers to imports using the high AUD and because of how all this is calculated it LOOKS like a productivity gain.

I am not blaming anybody or seeking a political point here just trying to understand the truth. I cut and pasted the relevant points below, if anybody can provide further insight it would be of interest to me.

Introduction
    The retail supply chain, which includes both retailers
    and parts of the wholesale sector, accounts for a
    significant part of Australian economic activity,
    representing around 7 per cent of GDP and more
    than 10 per cent of total employment.

and...

Second, the prices of domestically produced manufactures and the prices of labour and intermediate inputs used in the distribution process have risen faster than final consumer prices. In response to competitive pressures, distributors appear to have increased the volume of goods
    sourced from foreign manufacturers and generated significant productivity gains.

CW

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.