RNE 0.00% 0.5¢ renu energy limited

There is no doubt, I get lost in these Carbon Trading scheme...

1. 359 Posts.
    There is no doubt, I get lost in these Carbon Trading scheme debates.Maybe I'm not alone,all the same.
    It seemed that at one time the nation hung in anticipation of Prof. Ross Garnaut's paper that I think the Govt. had commissioned.
    When it was released when, late last year? there was a lot of shock and awe from the business end of town on "we can't afford it" and "what's the rest of the world doing anyway" and so on.
    There was shouting across the boxes for a while in Canberra on what seemed point scoring more than anything.
    Then like, "Thank God for the GFC we can get away from this airy fairy climate change stuff that upsets people".

There are a couple of subscribers on this forum who have posted with an obviously good grasp of where its at and going.
    Maybe someone would like to expand (once more) on where this and the good professor are headed and wether we will ever manage to achieve anything before suffocating and baking to death.

This on AAP News this morning.

AAP 09:02:00 5183 24/03/2009 Garnaut says no reason to delay ETS
    AAP News
    9:02:020 24/03/2009
    CANBERRA, March 24 AAP - The federal government's climate change expert expects the Australian economy to be in recovery by the time an emissions trading scheme (ETS) begins operation in July 2010.
    But, Professor Ross Garnaut says, the scheme could start with a fixed carbon price, rather than a floating value.
    The government is under pressure from business and the coalition to delay introduction of emissions trading with both fearing enormous job losses on top of rising unemployment from an economic slowdown.
    "The recessionary impact of the great crash is likely to be over by the time a mid-2010 emissions trading scheme is introduced," Professor Garnaut told ABC Radio.
    "The period of recovery from recession is a very good time for investment in structural change."
    Prof Garnaut, who recommended a modest cap and trade scheme, says a case exists for a fixed carbon price when the scheme begins operation.
    That would be the right approach up to 2012 to get the scheme working and businesses accustomed to the new arrangements.
    Prof Garnaut defended the ability of Australian polluters to access offshore carbon credits - such as support for Indonesian rainforests - without reducing local emissions.
    The overall objective was to reduce global emissions, he said.
    "If it suits Indonesia to do more and Australia to do less, then there's nothing environmentally wrong."
    AAP mb/rl/maur

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add RNE (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
0.5¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $3.630M
Open High Low Value Volume
0.5¢ 0.5¢ 0.4¢ $5.378K 1.116M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 195874 0.5¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
0.6¢ 7451883 12
View Market Depth
Last trade - 13.20pm 03/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
RNE (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.