professor who predicted tsunami predicts another n, page-24

1. 15,276 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 45
    taxing...

From an ABC report...(the new inventors)...about a "coconet"...

---

"...The frequency of coconuts falling is purely random. Whilst ripeness, high winds, stressed tree condition and other variables play a part, the quantity and frequency is never known prior. The silent weight (6-8kgs) falling from up to 20 meters can certainly be devasting and if six or more fell in unison, the result could be fatal.

Statistics: Tim says that death by coconut is far more common that death by shark. I have contacted the ABS about this - they are getting back to me. Tim also says that 150 people per year die from coconut related injury.

Injury: Tim says that personal Injury and death has been the subject of great concern to many tourist operators, shire councils, park rangers etc, throughout the tropic regions of the world. Safety concerns include:

climbers who de-nut trees (may cause injury and litigation later).
    walking or sitting under a tree (injury and litigation). Tim says, many tourist areas ask their clients to avoid these areas.
    Cost: Some shires and operators, have programs to de-nut trees, whilst others simply remove the trees altogether. (Please see excerpt below). In Queensland, the Shire Councils collectively spend in excess of $1 million annually combating this issue. In one Hawaii resort, the de-nutting program costs US$70,000 annually for their 2500 trees.

---

I wonder if, like sharks, coconuts hunt in packs?

Cheers!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.