Hi Sawcy, I have been professionally developing software for a...

1. 139 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 73

Hi Sawcy,
    I have been professionally developing software for a several decades for small start-ups to multinationals and researchers as a consultant and teacher, Chief technical officer etc.

At the moment I am developing a Stock and economic analysis platform for internal use only.

The languages i use are C++, python, Html, CSS, and JavaScript for reporting.

For presentation of results i used Html, CSS and JavaScript and some graphing tools.

I use python as an executive batch running language.

And use C++ for the heavy stuff everything else.

I don’t use a SQL database, but use BOOST libraries which can provide similar functionality but at much greater speed.

In addition to deciding what language to use i think the data source provider needs consideration,
    as they need to provide a wide coverage and be fast , consistent ,reliable and accurate.

Pro and Cons of languages I have used in the analysis platform are :

Python:

Pro’s: Easy to learn, good for beginners, flexible and powerful, large financial libraries.

Cons: Doesn’t scale as well for large projects, Very slow compared to properly written C++.

C++:

Pro’s:

Very fast fast, Robust if written properly, scales very well, Powerful, just about does anything.

Huge array of library’s,

Will be around a long time.

By far my favourite language.

Cons:

Much more complicated language.

Needs experience and knowledge to use properly.

As an alternative to C++ If learning to program perhaps try C#.

Html,CSS,JAvascript:

Pro: can knock things up quickly for presenting.

Cons: Does not scale well, slow to run.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.