ATH 33.3% 0.4¢ alterity therapeutics limited

prominent ad researcher killed in accident, page-2

1. 5,921 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 151
    More on Mark Smith, he recently co authored this post which seems to back Prana's theory of iron clearance being blocked by the zinc. Mark Smith was not afraid to say what he thought as seen in the first post on his accident. Looks to me like Prana lost a friend.

There is a lot more info on this link
    http://www.alzforum.org/new/detail.asp?id=2562
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment by: Rudy Castellani, Paula Moreira, Akihiko Nunomura, George Perry, ARF Advisor (Disclosure), Mark A. Smith (Disclosure), Xiongwei Zhu
    Submitted 17 September 2010 Posted 17 September 2010

Comment by George Perry, Xiongwei Zhu, Akihiko Nunomura, Paula I. Moreira, Rudy J. Castellani, Mark A. Smith
    Amyloid-? Protein Precursor at the Center of Iron and Redox Homeostasis: The Amyloid Reparative Cascade Hypothesis
    It is an overused statement that the brain is poorly protected from oxidative stress. That statement is now put to rest by the elegant and meticulous work of Ashley Bush and colleagues (Duce et al., 2010). Bush has shown the amyloid-? protein precursor (A?PP) has ferroxidase activities comparable to ceruloplasmin or ferritin. Ferroxidase, by stabilizing Fe+3, is at the center of protecting cells from Fe+2/Fe+3 cycling, with consequent hydroxyl radical production. Additionally, ferroxidase activity is essential for iron transport and tissue response to injury. These findings explain why, in the face of increased oxidative damage and response, ceruloplasmin is not induced (Castellani et al., 1999). A?PP, therefore, represents a unique system, adapted to the brain, to cope with iron homeostasis. These results suggest... Read more

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ATH (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.