This one sounds suspiciously like a lie from Howard's chief...

1. 228 Posts.
    This one sounds suspiciously like a lie from Howard's chief hatchet man:

Abbott denies urging Pell to criticise Labor

Federal Health Minister Tony Abbott has revealed he met the Catholic Archbishop of Sydney, George Pell, days before prominent churchmen spoke out against Labor's schools policy.

But Mr Abbott said he did not discuss Labor's schools plan during the meeting.

On the ABC's Lateline program, Mr Abbott was questioned over whether he had met Cardinal Pell in the days before a number of Catholic and Anglican archbishops, including Cardinal Pell, issued a statement condemning Labor's schools plan.

Mr Abbott immediately said he had not seen Cardinal Pell during the election campaign, but was then quick to clarify.

"Actually now you mention it I did meet with Cardinal Pell - so what, why shouldn't I meet with Cardinal Pell?" he said.

"Cardinal Pell is a fine man, he made a very good statement the other day about the Labor party's education policy."

But Mr Abbott says he did not discuss Labor's schools policy with the Archbishop.

"That's a bizarre suggestion," he said.

"I may well have been going to confession to Cardinal Pell - I may well have been seeking pastoral counselling," he said.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.