Nothing to do with Trump eh?The Agreement for Bringing Peace to...

1. 1,095 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 34
    Nothing to do with Trump eh?

The Agreement for Bringing Peace to Afghanistan was signed in Doha, Qatar, by the Taliban and the United States on Feb. 29, 2020. In exchange for a ceasefire with American and allied forces and the severing of ties with terrorist groups, the U.S. pledged to facilitate the release of thousands of Taliban prisoners and withdraw its forces by May 1, 2021. The Afghan government was not involved in the negotiations.

Trump, who campaigned on bringing the war to an end in both the 2016 and 2020 elections, had frequently touted the agreement.

“I’ll say this for the Taliban,” Trump said in March 2020 after the deal was signed. “They’re great fighters. You know that obviously. They’re great fighters. All you have to do is ask the Soviet Union. Are they great fighters? They are great fighters. But they’re tired also. This is 19 years, 19 years.”

Trump also took credit for the war’s end at a rally last month. “I started the process, all the troops are coming home,” he said. “Biden couldn’t stop the process.”

The Biden administration eventually moved the withdrawal date to Sept. 11, and then back to Aug. 31. With American forces pulling out, the Taliban swiftly rolled through and took control of the country in a matter of days. When discussing the troop withdrawal in July, Biden said it was “highly unlikely” that the Taliban was capable of such a swift victory.

But in his remarks Monday, Biden struck a defiant tone. “I stand squarely behind my decision,” the president said. “After 20 years I’ve learned the hard way that there was never a good time to withdraw U.S. forces.”

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-points-to-deal-negotiated-by-trump-to-explain-afghanistan-exit-215848097.html

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.