property investing advice for a beginner

1. 348 Posts.
    hi,

Im about to get into property investing after a bit of research on it and seeing the potential upside.

If people know a bit about it I would love to hear some feedback/ anything I am overlooking and just general tips.

I have already bought a first home which I have renovated and improved, giving me about 20% equity so the bank will allow me to take another loan out (for a property of lesser value but still enough to buy a rental)

For me the amount in equity or money needed to buy a home is around 10%
    So my plan is to grow a $2,000,000 property portfolio in the next few years (where I live thats 4 or 5 properties)
    the outlay for this would be around 200,000 dollars but I can use equity or savings for this.

So say property goes up 5% a year conservatively... some years less some more. etc. where I live it has done this for a long time and seems sustainable. 6-7% could be just as easy with the right choice in properties.

if you have $2,000,000 worth of property increasing at 5% over 20 years compounding, your portfolio will be worth 5.4 million after 20 years, meaning an increase of 3.4million.

so in 20 years you have turned 200k into 3.4 million dollars (1000%+ increase). And during this time people renting out those properties will have paid half of them off for you so theres another 1 million dollars. meaning 4.4million dollars. thats almost enough to retire for me under 50 if I wanted. Im 25 now. Obviously large taxes in selling, but ill have super too for the later years.

I understand how negative gearing properties works in your favor at tax time and can be used to increase house value also by spending money, and that you will still have to have a day job to service all these loans as there will be many other costs a year insurances etc. It would be safe to have up your sleeve $20,000 a year to service the loans or repair the houses when/if required.

Is there anything else important to factor in?
    If I have a 20 year plan would it be wise to lock in interest rates now because they are so low and I know I could manage these repayments but maybe not higher rates?

Is this really as achievable as I make it sound, if you choose the right properties? a lot of my friends are calling bullshit or wont listen but Im sure people on here have done it and I am very interested to hear.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.