Hi myASX - I'm a big supporter of further education in this...

1. 10,908 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1949
    Hi myASX - I'm a big supporter of further education in this sector. However one must differentiate between a full REAs license and a sub-agents license (salesman). Depending which State we're talking about a full license generally requires a two year, full time diploma course and a sub agent barely a few weeks, which outlines the basics. Both are in need of modernizing, and this can only be beneficial to the industry as a whole. From my perspective the only purpose of a salesman/woman is to facilitate an inspection. I disregard most of what they say and rely on my own due diligence, my solicitor to validate some of the more technical issues and conveyance of coarse. Even so, they (salespeople) often don't understand the difference between client and customer. They are compromised by the need to sell and will let slip sensitive information, which can sometimes benefit buyers - such as marital split ups or desperation to sell for any number of reasons. Generally speaking they (salespeople) do not understand commercial in-confidence or privacy legislation. Nor do they care if it will make a sale. A typical hazard of any commission based employment.
    I like the idea of the new self-sell style of property sales. And let's face it, given the massive rise in property values and the percentage commission system, now by negotiation, agents are beginning to price themselves out of the market. In my opinion commissions are now becoming extravagant, given the work required. That is presuming the subject property is not over priced, which becomes time consuming.
    There are caveats with self-sell. One has to be confident that they have pinpointed an appropriate asking price and be a confident negotiator. And there are many complexities, which can only be gained by experience in the field. There is also the time factor involved. Do you have the time to facilitate random inspections? Are you a good marketer/salesman/woman?
    That said, I don't see a big impact or effect on prices with this mode of selling, in any State. You may have further scope to negotiate, given you are not paying agents commission, but that's about it. And if that's the case you might as well use an agent. The trick is finding a reputable salesperson/agency. Believe it or not, they do exist.
    Here's one last tip from a vendors perspective. If your property is desirable, well presented and well positioned. In other words an easy sell. You can screw the agent down to the bone on commission

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.