Hi T.B By anchoring I presume you are talking about a new unit...

1. 10,905 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1949
    Hi T.B
    By anchoring I presume you are talking about a new unit block where multiple units are on sale. I've never seen this happen, but it would be illegal to do so, given it is clearly deceptive. Better to acquaint yourself with comparable sales in the are to establish value. Presuming you are in Australia the Valuer Generals Office list the sale price of everything sold, which is available through various sites on the WWW.
    As for preference between auctions and private treaty it much depends on the area/city and market conditions. From a sellers point of view auctions are fast and decisive, and a must in hot market conditions, lending themselves to FOMO. But often a waste of time and marketing expenses in a cold market. From a buyers perspective (hot or cold market) do your home work and be sure of its value before the day, and fix the maximum you are prepared to pay. At all cost avoid getting caught up in the auction excitement. The auctioneer is relying on your emotions to stretch the envelope.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.