property - very scary stuff!

1. 22,698 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7
    Well, everyone has been warned. As i have said on a number of occassions, the people that will get caught are those in my age bracket. The 25-35's. The people who dont know any different. I bought a place early in my 20's only to see it move sideways for 5 years. I sold it for basically what i bought it for. People in this age bracket havent really seen what can happen in bad times. We didnt own properties when interest rates were above 10% let alone 17%. Our parents didnt realise you could borrow more that 80% to buy a house. My generation live by it.

I've made a few mistakes along the way, but have seen this coming. "Negative Equity" will be the new topic going into the next decade. A lot don't know what it means yet, but they will soon realise.

Makes me laugh when i hear the word "soft landing". It generally gets thrown around about by real estate people, banks or anyone involved in real estate. Tell a 30 year old couple who has a mortgage and an investment property that a soft landing is losing 20% of what they have borrowed. Lose 20% off a $400 investment property and then 20% off there home. Lets hope they havent borrowed any more than 80% otherwise that 10 years of hard earned saving is going to go up in smoke. We have seen a 10-15% soft landing at the moment and interest rates are basically at record all time lows. Where the hell is our market going if interest rates go north by 2% in the next two years? I would hate to have 1 million worth of property, have paid mortgage insurance for my investment property so i can borrow 95%. Losing 200k is not much fun.

I would love to get a statistic on divorce rates a year ago and what they will be in 5 years. Throw in suicide rates (probably a bit harsh, but it wont help).

Every 2nd person i meet seems to be a property developer. What will happen to them?

Everyone has been warned. They have been getting warned for a couple of years ago.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.