psychology 101, page-69

1. 37,911 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 828
    There's a whole world of difference between empathy and the inherent instinct for personal survival.

I would say they are connected

imo, 'empathy' is largely connected to treating others as one wants to be treated

for example, if one has never tasted the pain of loss, how can one empathise with the loss of another?

for example, those who have never tasted pain, generally just say to others: "get over it"

empathy is a mutual thing, imo

for example, I have known depressed people, i know they are unhappy, i can partially empathise with them because i know they are unhappy, but i cannot fully empathise with them because i have never experienced depression

the problem with the sociopath is their mind is probably too busy scheming to ever feel pain & hurt

that is why it is generally only at the last moment, on the electric chair, they feel hurt (for themselves)

the mind functions in the following steps:

1. consciousness experience

2. feelings of pleasure or pain towards what is experienced

3. desires generated by what is felt

4. attachment/fixation to what is desired

5. acting upon what is attached to & desired

thus, obsession & desire override the underlying feelings that generate them

minds obsessed with anger are unable to feel the pain that is generating that anger

so, at the last moment, on the electric chair, the scheming desire of the sociopath ends & they taste pain at last

if the desires of the sociopath can be negated so they can feel the underlying painful feelings in the mind, they may be able to develop empathy

just a theory

regards

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.