public must accept asian drug penalties, page-14

1. 4,287 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    I don't know how anyone can claim that the death penalty is not a deterrent without examining their own reasons for why they choose not to do things. There are many things we choose not to do because of embarrassment, things we choose not to do because we may get fined, or jailed, and there are things we choose not to do because it may cost us our lives. For example I would not attempt to drive down a dirt road flanked by trees at 150 kph because I know that there is a high probability that I will be killed attempting it, but that doesn't stop some people from attempting it and some ending up dead. Increased fines or longer jail terms simply don't prevent people from doing it because they don't believe it will happen to them.
    It's obvious that they only way we can deter people is to do our best to show them that it can happen to them.
    Unless the drug mules are complete imbeciles, they are aware of the dangers but simply don't believe it can happen to them.
    Well now they know it can, but I guess some are still too sure of themselves. Maybe executing some of the Bali 9 might make them finally wake up.
    In the meantime I'm going to keep avoiding those situations that could cause me to die. As for the rest, I guess I'll keep weighing up the consequences and see if it is worth the risk, as long as it doesn't kill me it should be OK.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.