imo I think the superpit is an excellent example of how to have...

1. 80,771 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    imo I think the superpit is an excellent example of how to have a dumb idea and try and make something of it.

this is how the thinking seems to go -

oh, we have a big hole - gee, if that was full of water - we could do something with it.

fine

but, you need a few other things - like

another hole - and, a big bugger -- or lots of other little holes

sufficient head to get the pressure for your generation

large generation by some other source to put the water from hole 2 back into hole 1

all this depends on the geography and topography and all of it costs a bomb.

How long did it take to dig the super pit?? - a bloody long time.

the Pilbara - may well be sites there - because it's hilly - not so hilly around Kal - not that sort of hilly anyway.

Then of course - you need lids on your sauce pans - and, that may well be cheap - if you use something like blankets as opposed to sauce pan lids - which - god forbid, I wouldn't like the job of designing something like that.

And, of course - all this in a time of supposed climate change - where IF it's true - we might end up with 100 year droughts in some of these places

I think there is economic value in the super pit - after the gold is finished -- but, only because it's a hole - and, people for some reason might well pay to come and see a big hole.

god knows why - but, they do seem interested.

honestly - if it so far hasn't stacked up for pumped storage and reuse in Tassie with a big market across the ditch - how could it stack up in Kalgoorlie?????
    Last edited by pintohoo: 24/09/17

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.