"The generating head is from the top of the storage at the...

1. 80,818 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    "The generating head is from the top of the storage at the surface, to the generator, period. It only varies by the variation in the stored head."

I have got that - where are we placing the generator?

the inference was in previous posts that because the superpit was 600 m deep - then we had lots of head - which is BS

the head is exactly as you state.

However if - as was inferred - that we could have 600 m of head - then the generator would have to be at the bottom -

does that make sense?

Which means that as the used water level rose - the free flow from the generator would be coming up against back pressure - does that make sense?

If it doesn't make sense - that' because the systems don't work that way - they work exactly like you said.

Which means that in a cone shaped 600 m deep hole - you cannot get the full capacity of your multi kilometer long hole.

I fully understand you only need about 6 to 20 odd hours of generation cycle to make them work - what I am saying is that - that could only ever be a tiny system.

And, more than that - I seriously doubt the economics of it - no one would touch that with a barge pole --

you work it out ------------ would you build it and expect to make a profit?

I say again - if there was money in it - Hydro Tas would have already done it - they have the most renewable power system in the Nation - they have excess wind power sometimes - they have a cable they can sell excess - if they had more excess they could sell it in a doddle - they already have much of the big capital expense done -

but, they think it's a no go ------------ even when the bloody state was about to collapse and will do again - it 'does NOT stack up'

am I making sense?

still want to know if you are using a pumped system or not ----------- I looked at it myself - it was certainly a no go at my place - and, I have a lot of the infrastructure already in place.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.