You're talking I presume about a small system at your house?...

1. 45,802 Posts.
    You're talking I presume about a small system at your house?

That isn't anything comparable to a system designed to run a town or small city.

We don't have anything decent in Australia because we don't have a lot of rain, and we don't have a lot of elevation change.

You need big mountains, or vast rivers or both. We don't have anything like that.

People say the Fitzroy could be damned, and yes it could, but the size of the scheme would be enormous. And so would the enviro impact. Because it's flat up there in the Kimberley.

So dams take up a huge surface area to contain any decent sort of volume.

They also have a massive environmental impact. But I'm not against them totally.

I think the people on this thread advocating large scale hydro systems in Australia, for either primary generation or recirculating / storage generation are taking shit.

Sorry, it just isn't economically viable. The Snowy 2 scheme may work because the infrastructure is already there. Starting one from scratch just isn't going to make it $$$$ wise.

Battery technology is outpacing this large scale stuff quickly imo and will be the key to most residential places gaining at least some sort of energy independence in the longer term.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.