WDS 0.35% $28.94 woodside energy group ltd

Oil Futures Are Not Telling the Same Story As the Physical...

1. 392 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 601
    Oil Futures Are Not Telling the Same Story As the Physical Market.PDF

Nice post as usual, Moonshine. I appreciate your work and enjoy reading your long posts on Woodside and other companies we both follow.

I am attaching an article I just read this evening which I found interesting. It makes a similar point to one made by Madamswer in one of her excellent posts recently. Namely, that "in the battle between sentiment/traders and reality/supply & demand, 'reality' is undefeated".

Apparently the real market, for real oil supply and delivery today is very tight, as we suspect. What's happening with the hedge fund traders on a minute to minute basis may be divorced from what's actually happening on the ground.

I sold a third of my overweight holding in WPL and FUEL a couple of months ago for $31.00 and $5.85 as part of an overall effort to de-risk my equities exposure and increase dry powder. What surprises me isn't WDS' fall from $34+ (reached after I sold my one third) it's how resilient Woodside has been against the super-majors (FUEL ETF) which have taken a battering. For two years it was the other way around. We've got the reporting in $US (weak $AU), spot gas price exposure, and a big dividend holding up the share price this time; plus the advantage of the US listing. Hopefully it continues.

I can't believe we've got embargoes on Venezuelan, Iranian and Russian oil, OPEC is at capacity, strikes in Norway, coal prices through the roof (oil is a substitutable product), minimal industry CAPEX, yet oil prices are now at pre-invasion levels. The strong bull and strong bear cases seem to raise their heads every few days taking the energy sector share prices with it.
    https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/4514/4514740-a0606d82ab696f51df089610c63106ab.jpg
    https://markets.*.com/news/commodities/oil-prices-market-futures-brent-demand-recession-soaring-dislocation-2022-7

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WDS (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.