I have done this successfully in the past, but then missed...

1. 175 Posts.
    I have done this successfully in the past, but then missed changing back to equities in time to catch the upswing, so ended at zero gain/loss. So you need to consider that as well, which I think is a harder decision than switching to cash in the first place (which I have done for a proportion of portfolio, albeit small).
    The best advice I have followed is to diversify, which does require patience and being aware of your risk aversion (or not) profile, as you (tend) to look at loss (or lower performing assets) with far greater emphasis than wins (higher returning assets).
    It is a crapshoot in the short run, but I have come to understand that it's clichés as 'time in the market, not timing the market' and pretty much anything that Buffet says proves worthwhile in the long run.
    My conclusion: Own your 'castle' first, then land investment and equities second, diversify and stay awake. And still I find that things never go as you expect -the only mantra I have followed fervently was a notion I had over 25 years ago -for every 20 cents I save now, that's one less can of dogfood i have to eat in retirement (adjust for inflation, and likely that you could substitute fast-food for dogfood now, to be fair)
    And back yourself too, I have made my best decisions in opposition to best advice, but I had done the due diligence IMO. Good luck

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.