TLS 0.26% $3.88 telstra group limited

More headaches for Conroy. It seems Xenophon is not the easy...

1. 307 Posts.
    More headaches for Conroy. It seems Xenophon is not the easy vote for separation and the NBN that he thought.

http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/326134/q_senator_nick_xenophon_net_filtering_piracy?pp=1

You’ve given in-principle support for the Government’s bid to separate Telstra. Will you vote for it in the Senate?

NX: No, I won’t vote for it in its current form because I think it needs to be improved and it needs to have a number of guarantees in terms of a whole range of issues I raised with the Minister [Senator Stephen Conroy]. I think it’s important that the benefits of separation for the consumer are maximised and I just think the legislation has got a lot of scope for improvement. I don’t think it’s healthy for any one entity to have that sort of market power and there are problems it can cause for other entrants, for competition and ultimately for consumers.

Do you support the Government’s proposed National Broadband Network (NBN)?

NX: I support the principle that we need to have a world-class broadband system that will mean we can use the full potential of the Net for education and commerce. It seems the NBN is the way forward, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t see a cost-benefit analysis of it to insure we’re getting the best value for money and I support us seeing a business case for that.

How worried are you about the lack of a cost-benefit analysis?

NX: We’re going to get that information in February. That’s something that will give us a pretty good idea but right now I think the Government still has a way to go in selling its case.

Well I see that NX wants a cost benefit analysis done. Well Duh! Dont we all.
    And here is the problem for Stevie, YOU CANT JUSTIFY THE ECONOMICS OF THE NBN unless one of 3 things happen.

1. Your figures are wrong (read misleading)
    2. You effectively steal assets from TLS (but we wont let that happen)
    3 You duck shove a huge liability back onto the taxpayer ( but you have no mandate for this and there is a coming election)

Anyway it is pretty clear that Xenophon and Fielding want a hell of a lot more justification and analysis done before they vote. This it seems would be impossible unless they sell out for some ridiculously superficial deal, before the new year. Hence a Feb 2010 decision seems likely.

Love-30..... Mr Conroy to serve.

Have a nice christmas Mr Conroy.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TLS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$3.88
Change
-0.010(0.26%)
Mkt cap ! $44.94B
Open High Low Value Volume
$3.87 $3.88 $3.86 $3.617M 935.2K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
26 175723 $3.87

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$3.88 172958 24
View Market Depth
Last trade - 10.31am 30/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
TLS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.