QAN 0.17% $5.90 qantas airways limited

I looked back on the CEO reports for 2012 and 2013 to see what...

1. 327 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    I looked back on the CEO reports for 2012 and 2013 to see what was announced then.

August 2012 -
    "Loss after tax of $244M"
    "...faced a challenging year, however ...well positioned for a strong sustainable future"
    "...one off cost of $398M....as the Group initiated a turnaround plan for Qantas international network..."
    "...all parts of the Group profitable except International..."

August 2013 -
    "Statutory profit after tax of $6M..."
    "as a Group we are in a strong position"
    "We have a programme called Qantas Transformation..."
    "This includes the ongoing restructure of our International network..."
    "We will continue the $100M share buyback..."
    "The turnaround of Qantas International is on track..."

August 2014 -
    "Statutory loss of $2.8 billion..."
    "Underlying loss before tax of $646M..."
    "we are accelerating our Qantas Transformation programme..."
    "we anticipate a rapid improvement in the Group's financial performance in financial year 2015"
    "we expect to deliver an underlying profit before tax in the first half of the year (2015 financial"

The final CEO comment above for the 2014 year seems to indicate that another Statutory LOSS can be expected in the first half 2015.

Like many other have expressed in their postings I believe the woes of QAN can be attributed to management. Changes have been too long coming, slow to act, and decisions taken have not always been beneficial.

Why is it that Air New Zealand, operating in the same market/environment/region manages to turn a profit, especially with a smaller domestic market? Has Air New Zealand been able to more speedily make the necessay changes/efficiency improvements that QAN has been promising?

Yes, the SP has jumped a little as a result of the latest CEO result announcement, but that is most likely based on the fact that investors may be hopeful a suitor might now come forward to take up a share of QAN based on the CEO comment that "we anticipate a rapid improvement" and "we expect to deliver an underlying profit before tax in the first half of the year (2015 financial)..."

Unfortunately each time I see the CEO giving an interview I do not gain any confidence and believe he is (at least domestically) detrimental to the Qantas image - time to move on (IMHO)

Have owned QAN in the past and now just an observer who sees better investment options elsewhere.

DYOR

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add QAN (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.