qantas and the fwa tribunal - the real story, page-42

1. 12,085 Posts.
    Seeing a requirement of 4x2hrs fully paid blood donor entitlements as the opening condition did make me think, 'here we go, the 80s BLF revisited'. Personally, you can donate blood in your own time. No need for a rort condition.

I do not agree with a minimum 5% per year increase with a CPI safety net. A more realistic figure would be 3% as a minimum and if CPI is below this level the QAN has a safety net also, it would entitled to start negotiations at CPI.

A 1% Superannuation payment on top of a 5% increase is not acceptable. Neither is the Super being paid on all earnings and not just the base pay. If you're getting paid double time then you can afford to put extra aside yourself towards Super. I've agreed your employer should foot your retirement bill.

Also, we live in a flexible world. I accept giving notice with regards to shifts is a sign of respect but I don't agree that 21 days is required, unless you have a serious medical condition or a family member has. I fail to see why you would have an urgency to know 21 days before unless it's the fore mentioned. Likewise, changing a shift within 7 days should not require double pay, but I can see why it's included, to stop management from taking advantage of workers' with no regard to personal circumstances with abrupt shift changes. I also respect management may need to do this to suit operational requirements. But, having said that, I've seen management try to cite 'operational requirements' when it really means, 'we're too cheap to hire more staff.'

In my opinion QAN baggage handlers have a more than acceptable good wicket. I'm trying to be objective, I don't see how anyone could be hard done by under those conditions. I've worked for a major Aust icon myself and seldom do large companies have crap agreements.

Can someone confirm the QAN working week(hrs) and rate of pay. Please don't complain that it's rotating shift work. I've worked them myself. Working 9 to 5 in fact gives you the worse possible family life, in my opinion. It wipes the whole day and you don't spend quality time with your family. Shift work is a fact of life and it doesn't kill you.

Makes you wanna work for the flying Kanga lol

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.