By election coming up in Qld with Jo-Ann Miller, the seat for...

1. 6,675 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 20
    By election coming up in Qld with Jo-Ann Miller, the seat for Bundamba with One nation going to be hot on the heels with this one, so the talk is.

Will be a bit of a test for the embattled Palaszczuk government with the Trad debacle which Miller voiced her opinion against all what went on.

You could say she was a cat amongst the pigeons going in for a good old hen scratch at times.

Queensland Labor member Jo-Ann Miller has quit parliament.

A sobbing Ms Miller announced her immediate resignation in parliament on Thursday after 20 years in office.

Her sudden exit will trigger another by-election just months before voters rumble into booths to decide which party will lead the state.

"Together, we have fought some magnificent battles, sometimes against those you least expected, including the party to which I have devoted my life to," she wrote in her resignation letter.

"I thank our community for standing with me as I paid a personal price for resolutely standing firm, being stitched up by the political and media elites, but never shaken by the rotten political and administrative culture."

It comes days after she told Deputy Premier and Treasurer Jackie Trad to consider her position, labelling her a "four letter word".

Ms Miller revealed recent surgery to remove a tumour played a part in her decision, and said she was the last in a generation of Labor MPs.

"They taught me a lot and I thank them," she wrote.

"We will never see their like again in this House. I close the door on this era."

The backbencher embraced Speaker Curtis Pitt after handing in her letter of resignation and then fell over, only to be helped up by Liberal National Party MP Jarrod Bleijie.

She embraced LNP leader Deb Frecklington and MPs on both sides of the chamber on her way out.

Ms Miller wrote on Facebook that she would not be vying for the position of Ipswich mayor, after speculation she would put her hat in the ring at next month's council elections.

Her family was the most important thing to her, she wrote in her resignation letter.

"Thank you for standing by me and supporting me while the job I was privileged to be elected to, kept me away from you," it said.

"I love you. It's your turn now. I'm coming home."

She was praised by Pauline Hanson as Labor's last honourable member in Queensland, recalling when Ms Miller offered her a pair of booties for her newborn grandson during the 2017 state election campaign.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk thanked her for her service. (born 22 August 1958) is an Australian politician. She has been a Labor Party member of the Legislative Assembly of Queensland since February 2000, representing the electorate of Bundamba.[1]

Her resignation follows that of Jann Stuckey, who stood as member for Currumbin for the LNP.

A bit of Millers past

Miller entered parliament in a 2000 by-election upon the resignation of the former member for Bundamba, Bob Gibbs. Bundamba is considered a safe seat for the Labor Party, and Miller has been the winner of every election since.

On 16 February 2015 she was sworn in as Minister for Police, Fire and Emergency Services and Minister for Corrective Services in the Palaszczuk Ministry.[2][3]

On 4 December 2015, Miller resigned from cabinet following a Queensland Parliamentary Ethics Committee Report stating that although she had not been guilty of contempt of Parliament, she had engaged in a "pattern of reckless conduct."[4] The committee's investigation focused on revelations Miller had signed a document stating she had correctly disposed of confidential Parliamentary Crime and Corruption Committee papers, which were later found by an Opposition MP in a safe used to store those papers.[5]

Her resignation came one day after Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk signalled her intention to remove Miller from her portfolios.[6]

In October 2018, Miller voted against the government's successful proposal to decriminalise abortion in Queensland, making her the only Labor Party MP to do so.[7]

In January 2020, it was reported that Miller was considering resigning her seat in order to contest the City of Ipswich mayoral election, to be held on 28 March.[8]

Miller resigned as the Member for Bundamba on the 20th of February 2020.

Bundamba is a very much working class / unemployed seat, and going on past voting figures shows not much interest in voting with around 84% only turning up to vote and about 8.4% of that were informal.

She was well liked there because she told is as she seen it unlike a lot of pollies of today.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.