Queensland Labor MP stood down from committee as police examine claims, page-2

1. 18,150 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    Police Minister 'made mistake' in contacting man who complained about Labor MP Rick Williams

Police Minister Jo-Ann Miller made an error in judgement by contacting a man who has made complaints about Labor MP Rick Williams, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says.
    Ms Miller phoned Bruce McLean on Wednesday, after his allegations against his former employer Mr Williams were published in The Courier-Mail.
    The newspaper has now referred the claims against the first-term Pumicestone MP to police.
    In State Parliament, Opposition Leader Lawrence Springborg accused Ms Miller of interfering in an investigation.
    "Given this extraordinary and inappropriate interferences, will the Premier now sack the Police Minister?" he asked.
    Ms Palaszczuk said Ms Miller had made a mistake.
    "The Police Minister made an error of judgement and it will not happen again," she said.
    Ms Miller said Mr McLean is a friend and a constituent, but conceded that she should not have made contact with him in this circumstance.
    "Sometimes my care for people is so strong and overwhelming that I act to offer my support to them instinctively," she said.
    "As the local member this was the right thing to do.
    "On reflection, as Police Minister and understanding any issues of perception, I would not have made that call."
    Ms Miller said she was concerned for Mr McLean's welfare and that he thanked her for the call.
    "He went on to say he includes me in his prayers every day," she said.
    "I thanked him for his prayers."
    Mr Williams has today been stood down from Parliament's Legal Affairs and Community Safety Committee, pending the outcome of the police investigation.
    His office has been contacted for comment.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-04/police-minister-made-mistake-complaint-rick-williams/6521572

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.